Monday, April 3, 2017

return from the edge of the earth, thoughts on concrete and steel reading

Greetings Again Dearest Reader,

As is my occasional custom I have disappeared for some time, with ensuring tardiness towards other postings on this public-private forum. However much like a dirty penny or annoying relative I have made my not too much undesired return to entrance you with my attempts at wit and commentary on engineering practice.

Banter and prolixity aside let us get straight to the matter.

I quite enjoyed the CMU and steel readings. The steel was to a certain degree redundant however a nice cursory summation of much of what has been learned in other classes. The CMU reading I found highly interesting as I have yet to have the opportunity to study masonry design or practice in depth. I was not really aware of dry masonry construction before the reading. Looking back I've seen it in practice but I've never really put much thought into it myself. Personally I am most fond of wooden construction considering my predilections towards carpentry and joinery.

Cinder block construction is a highly common construction technique that has many benefits. Like all construction methods though, it requires significant skill and practice for an individual to achieve quality workmanship. Good brick laying requires consistency and attention to detail. Computers and machinery are frequently superior to man in those categories. This being the case, the job of a bricklayer is one that is highly susceptible to mechanization.  Mechanization and automation is increasingly common in many areas of manufacturing and construction. With this in mind, one does have to wonder if this will a job that will exist and to what extent in the coming years. The work of a bricklayer may be like the movement of earth, once done by armies of hundreds by hand but now by a few in machines.

Your Resident Luddite,
RLM

1 comment:

  1. I was driving through Denver yesterday and still surprises me seeing Condo's going up using wood framing.

    Materials and techniques are location dependent, skilled bricklayers are uncommon in Colorado, framers not so. Other places framing is unusual and would be considered non standard construction so have issues as far as financing and insurance is concerned.

    Cinder blocks, elsewhere light weight aerated blocks are common so traditional skills can be used with a more modern product, quicker to lay and better insulation. Celcon was the brand name I remember, when I was looking at materials for a project this was my first choice but the nearest supplier was in Texas.

    ReplyDelete