Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Reflections on reading technique and project scheduling

My Dearest Reader,

I hope a degree of levity is appreciated in these postings as I greatly enjoy it.

The SQ3R reading technique is interesting. I've never had it explicitly stated that way but I have found for many years that I've gotten in the habit of doing it without realizing it. When I read, if it is something of substance that I care to take interest in, I will read it, write questions and comments in the margins, and when I find a puzzling passage I will often read it out loud and try to rephrase it in my own words.  My high school was heavy in the humanities and I was regularly required to read well over a thousand pages of text every semester if not several thousand. I tend to read histories, biographies, and theologies in my spare time which does required a bit of adjustment in reading practice compared to more technical texts.

The reading on scheduling was interesting. The thing it reminded me the most of was limiting reactants in chemistry. A project schedule can be viewed as a series of chemical reactions dependent upon their predecessors for continuation. Taking this to a real life example, when I was taught how to restore historic wooden railroad equipment I was taught to fix the frame and running gear first, then go to the roof, then deal with the body of the car, and finally the interior trimmings. You could have the best body and roof every built on a car, but if the frame of the car is garbage all the work that was done will be ruined in a few years.

I find that I myself am susceptible to imposter syndrome. I try to maintain a growth mindset as much as possible towards intellectual pursuits.

1 comment:

  1. I like your analogy to chemistry reactants. I never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete