Friday, February 24, 2017

Comments on the Design Bid Build activity

Greetings Once More Dearest Reader,

On Wednesday the 15th we did a Design-Bid-Build (DBB) activity concerning the building of a knex bridge. We were provided with the design and our job was to estimate the requisite materials and labor to produce a reasonable and profitable cost estimate.

Overall I thought the activity was pretty good. It was a good learning and team activity. For those unfamiliar with estimating I think it was a good exercise.

I would have appreciated being able to handle the materials during the estimating process. I grew up playing with knex but some of my team mates did not. So without a proper understanding of how they go together it's harder to make a proper estimate of time. I mean these are kids building toys not Faberge eggs.

I'm not an expert on bidding. The best I've done in that area is my work as a neighborhood handyman and doing budgets for History Colorado Grants. As well right now I'm in the process of rebuilding an historic railroad turntable which I am supposed to have a rough budget for in 3 weeks. I thought it was a valuable exercise, I was not familiar with the bond process but not surprised of its existence

Most teams appeared to be presaging their materials. In some cases it was done to an extent which would render them a potentially unfair advantage.However it was within the parameters of the project. Bending of the rules always happens but that's what lawyers are for.

I think it would be better to do the reading first then the activity. As well I would have appreciated more time in the beginning to get an understanding of the activity





No comments:

Post a Comment