Wednesday, February 8, 2017

It's hard to take measurements in Gloves

Greetings again Dearest Reader,

Now for a Como Update. Monday I made a trip down to South Park to take measurements and do some engineering staring. My measurement taking was good and my staring was revealing. As well the temperature was cold and windy as could be expected. After looking at the interior of the turntable side frames I could see where the pivot previously mounted and how we're going to mount the new pivot. Below are annotated pictures. I did a walk around of the table looking at the sheets of the table side frames. Despite their age, 130+ years, they are in remarkably good shape on the surface. Their appears to be no significant surface corrosion or pitting.

Inside the roundhouse I took measurements of the pivot and examined how the rocking plate and the bearing engage each other and how the bridge mounts to the rocking plate. Pictures will explain it better than I can. The top of the bearing has an arch which mates with a corresponding negative arch on the rocker plate. There is about 1.5 inch lip around the top of the rocker plate which I'm assuming is where the turntable mounts to it. I will be making a trip to Durango within the next month to see how their table is set up since this is a D&RGW turntable bearing and Durango has its original Grande turntable.


Here's the bridge itself.



Here's the pit and roundhouse




The bearing. I didn't get a good picture but in the top half of the bearing there is a hole that is threaded towards the bottom. I believe this is for a pin to keep the rocking plate from moving too much.



Here's the rocking plate, It is a solid casting so its rather heavy.


This is the interior side frame at the center of the table where it mounts to the bearing. You can see where the material was torched off. I believe that is where the mounting bracket attached to the side frame.



Here's the Depot, its adorable


Many thanks to Jeff Ramsey for helping me take measurements! That's all for now folks, stay tuned for more updates.

Leighton

2 comments: